The quickest way to a man's heart is through his tummy....well the quickest way to my husband's heart is through Sophia so this is a double whammy! We had a friend over this morning and they created these yummy Father's Day Treats. I think they did a great job!
Sugar Cookie Recipe
1/2 Cup Butter (room temp)
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Egg yolk (slightly beaten)
1/2 tsp Vanilla
2 Cups Flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/4 tsp Salt
3 Tbsp Milk
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Cream butter and sugar together until pale.
- Add egg yolk and vanilla and mix until just combined.
- Sift all dry ingredients together.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture, alternating with milk.
- Shape into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled (at least 3 hours)
- Roll out dough to 1/4" thick and cut out shapes.
To decorate the cookies I use the Wilton's Royal Icing Recipe which calls for Meringue Powder instead of using egg whites. It can be purchased at Michaels or the Bulk Barn. For a small batch of cookies I would only make half the recipe (with plenty left over) and follow the instructions to thin the icing so that it's easier to spread.
You can easily colour this icing with Food Colour Gel and put it in piping bags and make fancy decorations but when I make cookies with Sophia (4 years old) she just spreads the icing onto the cookies and then cakes them with sprinkles. Lots of fun!