Warning: this recipe is far to easy and delicious to be making during swimsuit season...bake at your own risk!
This is a great recipe to use up some of that springtime rhubarb! Mine is taking over my garden! This cake gets it's name because once baked, the surface of the cake is all bumpy and creator-y like the surface of the moon. Yum!
Rhubarb Lunar Cake
1/2 Cup Butter
1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Cups Flour
1 Cup Buttermilk
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
2 Cups Rhubarb ~ cut into 1"pieces
1 Tbsp Flour
1/4 Cup Butter
1 Cup Brown Sugar
2 tsp Cinnamon
- Line a 9"x14" with parchment paper or lightly grease the pan.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix until just combined.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add 1/3 of flour mixture to butter mixture. Alternate with the buttermilk so that there are 3 flour additions and 2 buttermilk additions. Mix each addition until just mixed.
- Toss rhubarb with 1 Tbsp of flour and then stir into batter.
- Spoon into baking pan evenly.
- Combine Topping ingredients until well mixed.
- Drop spoonfuls onto the top of the cake batter. Continue until the cake is covered with blobs of topping.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Serve with hipped cream or ice cream or all on it's own...ENJOY!