Monday, March 18, 2013

CRAYONS?


So what's in your lip gloss?

Actually, the truth is, I'm not really sure.  I recently read an article claiming that 55% of the lip stick and lip glosses tested contained lead!  I've tried to do a bit of research on this topic and I've found that most of the articles claim the same thing....lead, and a bunch of other weird things.
So, I got tired of researching and trying to figure out the facts from fiction and thought it would be a lot more fun to just make my own lip gloss.
I'm not saying that I'll never use lipstick ever again but I've started looking for more natural alternatives for every day products and switching them up where I can.  I've found that so far, ALL of the natural products that I've been using not only seem to be working better for my skin but also have been saving me a lot of money.  I'll post more of them as soon as I can.  I wanted to try them out for a while before I gave them my stamp of approval.
We all know that Crayola Crayons* are non-toxic and come in more colours than you can imagine!  This lip gloss contains only three ingredients, Shea Butter, Castor Oil and Crayons (which also contain pigment and paraffin wax).  I added a few drops of food grade Peppermint Oil because I don't really like the smell of crayons.  
This was quick and easy and it feels lovely on my lips!  I have only tried two colours but I can't wait to try more.

*make sure to get Crayola, non-toxic crayons. 
 
Recipe

Depending on the size of the container you have you can modify this recipe.  Also, half a crayon is a nice light colour but if you want a more opaque colour just add more crayon.
I am using containers that hold 10ml that I bought at the Dollar Store.  8 per pkg

1 tsp Shea Butter
3/4 tsp Castor Oil
1/2 Crayola Crayon
a few drops of food grade essential oil (I used peppermint)

 
 


Combine all of the ingredients (except the essential oil) in a glass bowl
and set the bowl over a simmering pot of water and wait until they all melt together

 
Remove the bowl from the heat and add the essential oil.

Pour it into your container and...

That's it!  It will harden up in no time and you will have a lovely lip gloss!

Purple Pizzazz and Wild Strawberry




No comments:

Post a Comment